The results of an elemental analysis performed on a shovel revealed that the material used could not meet hardness specifications after heat treatment.
The following examples illustrate some of our contributions to this business sector:
- Corrosion resistance testing was performed on the collapsable shovel parts including: the rear handle rivet, the handle washer, the pivot bolt, the pivot nut, and the thrust plate. Military requirement calls for B117 salt fog exposure for 100 hours without the development of red rust.
- The results of an elemental analysis performed on a shovel revealed that the material used could not meet hardness specifications after heat treatment. Because the broad range for composition provided by SAE specifications for carbon steel does not address particular needs for manufacture, the user was directed to order future purchases by composition, rather than by alloy number.
- Large variations in mechanical properties resulted during the manufacture of springs used for grass rakes. Chemical analysis found that the material used did not contain sufficient amounts of carbon and manganese to allow the development of the mechanical properties needed for the final product. The purchasing practice was modified to assure delivery of proper material.
- Rockwell hardness tests were performed on garden fork specimens found that the product was excessively hard and brittle. Chemical analysis found that the steel used was not suitable for the standard manufacturing practice.
- Touchstone was requested to find the origin of leaks in new tubeless wheelbarrow tires. The tire was pressurized and submerging in water overnight. It was found that the thin tire material allowed air to seep directly through the tire rubber. A thicker, better quality, heavier grade of rubber was eventually used for this application.
The above examples are only a sample of our work in this area. We would be pleased to provide any additional information you may require. We also invite you to review examples on our website of work that we have performed in support of other business sectors.
More Example Reviews
To review more examples, please select from the following menu: