Touchstone periodically meets with economic development personnel from various states to provide guidance, especially in the area of technology economic development.
The following examples illustrate some of our contributions to this business sector:
- Touchstone operated West Virginia’s first Technology Transfer program. Under this program, Touchstone assisted eight companies in solving a variety of technical issues. The work completed in the programs included: a quality program for a food producer, quality control equipment for a steel company, technical information was generated to support a glass company’s marketing, high pressure waterjet, laser cutting and wire EDM cutting systems were evaluated for use by an electronics company, and a coating for the electrostatic roll located inside a photocopier toner cartridge was evaluated for a company that re-manufactures toner cartridges.
- Touchstone worked with a local economic development organization as well as State officials to develop the initial marketing plan and build West Virginia’s first technology park, the Millennium Centre, located adjacent to interstate 70 Wheeling, West Virginia. Touchstone also became the anchor tenant in 1980.
- The Southern Growth Policy Board consists of the Governors of the Southeastern 16 states. It considers economic development issues for the region. The Governor of Georgia presented Touchstone with the Governor’s Cup Award, the top business award the Southern Growth Policy Board bestows. Touchstone was chosen for its overall impact on the region’s economic development both through its business activities and the volunteer activities of its personnel.
- An analysis was performed on paint chip samples taken from a bridge. The chips were analyzed in accordance with the ASTM methods for the determination of metal content of organic materials to determine whether lead or other metals were present.
- Touchstone assisted the state of West Virginia in developing its first Industrial Extension Service. Touchstone personnel were involved in interviewing and choosing the first director and assisted in setting the initial direction for the organization.
- West Virginia University has a state-of-the-art, completely automated, driverless “People Mover.” An electrical short occurred that shut down a portion of the transit system. Touchstone engineers were brought in to investigate the failure. A report explained the failure and the system was returned to operation.
- Touchstone periodically meets with economic development personnel from various states to provide guidance, especially in the area of technology economic development.
The above examples are only a sample of our work in this area. We would be pleased to provide any additional information you may require. We also invite you to review examples on our website of work that we have performed in support of other business sectors.
More Example Reviews
To review more examples, please select from the following menu:
More Example Reviews
To review more examples, please select from the drop-down menu:
Nuclear Power Plants