U.S. Navy Programs
Touchstone is currently a prime contractor in a program to develop next-generation, polymer-composite, submarine hull structures.
The following examples illustrate some of our contributions to this business sector:
- For the Navy, Touchstone developed the Material Data System, a database used to collect test mechanical test data on polymer composite materials under various advanced matrials development programs.
- Touchstone is currently a prime contractor in a program to develop next-generation, polymer-composite, submarine hull structures. The process involves a cure-in-place, thermoplastic matrix manufacturing method, that does not require processing with an oven or autoclave.
- Touchstone has performed weld testing in support of a program to replace certain steel alloys for Naval structural applications.
- Touchstone has provided a wide variety of mechanical testing services for advanced polymer matrix composites as well as other materials.
- Touchstone has provided mechanical testing and problem solving related to the manufacture of submarine bow-dome materials.
- Touchstone is currently developing very high-strength, carbon foam materials for use in future Navy structures.
- A destructive method of assessment was developed for damage after impact of thick section polymer composite specimens. In the study, the destructive method was compared to C-scan ultrasonic techniques to assess the quality of ultrasonic NDE as an inspection technique.
- Touchstone has performed numerous tests on thick section polymer composites.
The above examples are only a sample of our work in this area. We would be pleased to provide any additional information you may require. We also invite you to review examples on our website of work that we have performed in support of other business sectors.
More Example Reviews
To review more examples, please select from the following menu: